- Tacoma is in a housing affordability crisis. We see the impacts through rising rents, home prices and evictions, leading to over 29,000 renters and 18,000 homeowners living in overly expensive housing or at risk of being displaced*. The Affordable Housing Action Strategy (AHAS) is an organization-wide initiative to address our housing affordability crisis through 27 strategic actions defined by the City and our stakeholders. The 27 actions fall into four overarching objectives:
- Create more homes for more people
- Keep housing affordable and in good repair
- Help people stay in their homes and communities
- Remove barriers for those who often encounter them
*Determined by high displacement and eviction risk, along with high levels of unemployment. See Urban Displacement Project—Housing Precarity Risk Model.
To learn more about the key challenges and actions named in the strategy, please review the Affordable Housing Action Strategy document, or go to www.cityoftacoma.org/AHAS.